Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Decisions...

After much debate, I have decided to open my audition with the Chicago Lyric by singing, 'Ah! mes amis...' from 'la fille du régiment' by Donizetti. Each auditionee is only guaranteed 1 aria and if they are anything like the people from Paris Opera, they may decide to cut you off rather quickly if you aren't 'wow-ing' them. This aria (for those that don't know it) is full of vocal fireworks and the second half of the aria is known for its 9 high C's (that pretty much shatter glass). One thing I learned in Europe is that there is nothing more deadly than being boring and only thru taking risks. I am a firm believer of the ideology, 'no risk, no reward', after being told that although my technique as a singer is nearly flawless, I also lack anything distinguishable about me as a performer on stage. This aria is not particularly tough for me to sing, and as a matter of fact, it feels so comfortable that I can often feel myself 'phoning it on' on the facial expressions and my body language. Where I am energized and excited on the inside, it shows as though I am bored on the outside. So, I am going to go on that stage (however big it is) and I am going to make myself and my personality fit that big stage. I will smile so wide that the audition panel will be able to see every tooth in my mouth. My plan is to at least not bore the panel...

Speaking of taking risks...I was told many years ago by a voice teacher (Gran Wilson) upon embarking on his international career that he had spent every penny in his bank account, maxed out every credit card, and had his landlord banging down his door to collect the rent check. It was only then that he got his first big 'break', and started to really have success. His moral was that it was at this point of desperation that he was truly able to let go in these auditions and just sing from his heart, where before, maybe he was a bit on the reserved side.

I can understand the whole not having any money in the bank and also the feeling of pushing those credit cards further than I should. At the same time, though I worry about the lack of incoming money, I am further resolved by my own talent and abilities. I can't understand at times why I have so much faith in myself, but for whatever reason, it's there. There is some part of me that believes that whatever the task...I am up for it...and as far as opera singing goes: I may not win the battle of a certain audition, but I know I will win the war of attrition with having a successful career.

No comments:

Post a Comment