Monday, December 21, 2009

On ABC 2 Baltimore!

Hello everyone,
It has been an exciting month since I have been back in the US. First, and most important, I was featured in a segment on ABC's show, 'Good Morning Maryland'. In this segment, I was interviewed by Jamie Costello and then performed the aria, 'Nessun Dorma' with pianist Michael Sheppard. It was a thrill to be on live television, to be interviewed by Jamie Costello, and of course to be able to work with Michael Sheppard. When we are are performing, we often forget how much easier our jobs can be when we have a pianist who can take care of everything imaginable. Michael Sheppard is one of those pianists and he makes my life incredibly easier as a singer. I look forward to our next spot on this TV show sometime after the holidays. Stay tuned to this website and I will keep everyone posted. For those that missed it, here is the link to my interview:

http://www.abc2news.com/content/gmm/story/Meet-a-Baltimore-Born-Opera-Star/CWwUykeLU0iYiQR57-SWFQ.cspx


The night after performing on the news, I had the priviledge of seeing Renee Fleming live at the Lyric. It was a quite a show. She really knows how to play to an audience and yet also keep it very classy. I happen to be a fan of how she introduced each piece. I know many people find performers speaking to the audience a bit crass, but I find it educational. Especially when the singer/performer might have insight into something that the audience might find interesting. On a personal note, I also like the connection it forms with the audience and you get to know the performer a bit better. This is always a tactic I take when giving recitals (if given the opportunity). This (in my opinion) is sometimes the only way to explain and bring the audience into the piece, and by doing so, we can bring more people to the 'fine arts'.

On a final performing note, I am in the process of learning Nadir from the 'Pearl Fishers' with Center Stage Opera. I look forward to working with the company again and all the great staff that are involved in these productions. The big conundrum that all tenors face is how to attack the big aria in act one. After much debate, I have decided to go the artistic route and sing all the top notes pianissimo. This is up to much debate, but because the music calls for a soft approach and I am supposed to be in a dream state, it just makes the most sense (even if it is horribly difficult to do well). Luckily, I have 3 more months to get ready for this and prepare myself.

Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment