Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Pearl Fishers and snow!

Hello all,
I am in the midst of my next production, The Pearl Fishers, with Center Stage Opera. Rehearsals have been great and the production includes some great singing. For all those interested, I am performing March 6th and 20th.

While learning this role, I had mentioned my struggles over finding a way to properly sing the Act 1 aria. After much debate, I have decided to sing it comfortably and fuller than I initially wanted. It doesn't match the text as well as I originally wanted (being that I am supposedly going to sleep), but if I sing it as softly as is intended, the audience will never be able to hear me in a big house. This is the advantage of being an opera singer. I get to sing the stuff that is normally very difficult for a singer to sing softly, with more more sound to project to several thousand people. Phew. Now that I am saved from trying to be so artsy, I can now let my voice go back to being comfortable again.

For those of you not in the mid-atlantic area, we were hit with a tremendous snow storm last week. It dropped the second most snow ever in a snowstorm for the city of Baltimore. Not to mention, as I am writing, another snowstorm is slamming Baltimore with expected snow totals of 10-20 inches. I will confess I normally hate the snow as it interferes with everything I do as a performer, but the fact that I now live in the city of Baltimore makes it not so difficult to be able to get out to food stores and get whatever supplies I need (as opposed to living in the suburbs and being unable to get anywhere). One huge downside to Baltimore in a snowstorm (and it differs greatly from NYC, Chicago, or Paris and London) is that there is no underground mass transportation. This lack of mass transit in this city does annoy me greatly and reminds me of why I am always longing to move to one of the above mentioned cities. Soon enough.

In the meantime, enjoy the snow everyone and stay safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment