Saturday, July 24, 2010

Off to Paris, Munich, and London!

2 weeks from yesterday, I head to Paris where I will work some with my teacher, Howard Haskin. In addition, he is bringing esteemed Covant Garden Stage Director, Charlie Hamilton, to hear me while I am visiting. Howard sent Charlie to listen to me on my website and Charlie has assigned me several selections to have ready to sing for him over the course of 2 days. He also was able to watch video of me. He is set to help me put forth a more complete dramatic interpretation to everything I sing. This will also help me better sell my characters on stages of such acclaim like: Covant Garden, La Scala, and the Met. I realize that there are several aspects of my stage performing that still lack that classic word, 'polish'.

After working with Howard and Charlie, I will be jet setting off to Munich to meet with an agent to discuss Fest Contracts, work in Germany, and other contract work throughout Eastern Europe. After Munich, I will head back to Paris to re-charge my batteries before heading off to London. Here, I will meet and sing for an Italian agent who handles territory in the UK and also Italy.

Right now as I find my way through my European options, I am trying to find the best way to find steady work in Europe. I am also trying to then figure out where I should base my home. The constant travel back and forth from the United States is tiring and expensive; if I am going to make the semi-permanent jump to Europe, I want to make sure it is financially viable long-term.

Singing-wise...I have discovered a rather significant trouble spot that I seemingly have corrected. I have always prided myself on my piano skills, however what I tend to forget, is that sitting at the piano and playing and singing at the same time does not promote great singing technique. As a have been working through Peter Grimes and Das Rheingold, I have really noticed that my phrasing is not as complete as I would like it to be. Almost by mistake, I remembered something a great coach said to me many years ago (Charlie Riecker of the Met Opera)...'Chest Up, Shoulders Back, and Stay on your Heels!' I often lean forward when I sing and as a by product, I slump my shoulders slightly. This causes my ribcage to shorten and then my breathing to become more shallow. Fixing this has suddenly made phrases that were previously difficult, much for simple.

On a final note, I recently guest blogged on a friend's website. If you would like to read my note on the European scene please see this website:

http://sybariticsinger.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment